Financial Aid
Frequently Asked Questions
To apply for financial aid, you must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by going to If you need assistance please visit the Financial Aid Office located in the Administration Building.
Yes every student who is applying for FAFSA is now required to have an FSA ID. You will need to apply for one before you can begin your FAFSA application.
The amount of financial aid you are eligible for depends on your Expected Family Contribution, your year in school, enrollment status and the cost of attendance at the school you will be attending. Once the Financial Aid Office has reviewed your eligibility, you can go online to the WHCL Portal. Under Webadvisor for Students, click on Financial Aid and then click on Financial Aid Award Letter. This will show you your eligibility for the school year. For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office.
Expected family contribution (EFC) is the amount you and your family are expected to contribute toward your education for one school year. You receive an EFC based on the processing results of your (FAFSA). *Keep in mind that some students may not need to pay all of their expected family contribution depending on the cost of attendance of the college.
Yes, you can use FAFSA on the Web to calculate your estimated Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The estimated EFC will print on the confirmation page when you have completed and submitted the application. An official EFC will be calculated at the Central Processing System (CPS) once all required signatures are received.
If you filled out and submitted an application with an incorrect Social Security Number (SSN) and/or have transposed your first and last name, fill out a new application and provide your correct SSN and/or your first and last name. The existing applications cannot be deleted from the Central Processing System (CPS) and you must notify your Financial Aid Office that the database may contain two applications under your name or SSN. You may also see the Financial Aid Administrator at your school for further assistance. It could be possible that your school can make an electronic correction for you.
Yes. Eligible non citizens may also qualify for financial aid. Generally, you are an eligible non citizen if you have:
  1. an Alien Registration Card (I-551);
  2. an I-551C
  3. an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) with designations: “Refuge”, “Asylum”, “Parole” or “Cuban-Haitian Entrant”.
If you are not a citizen or an eligible non citizen, you are not eligible for federal student aid, however, you may qualify for state or college student aid. For AB 540 students, Please visit to apply for financial aid. Please contact your Financial Aid Office for more information.
No. You can select up to ten schools to receive your FAFSA data by listing them on your application. However do not list both Lemoore and Coalinga School codes on your FAFSA; it will only delay your financial aid. Please only select the one you are planning on getting your degree or certificate from.
According to federal regulations if you answer no to all questions, numbered 52 through 58 you must list parent’s income and the parent must sign the FAFSA application.
The Lemoore federal school code is 041113. Do not list both Lemoore and Coalinga School Codes on your FAFSA; it will only delay your financial aid. Please only select the one you are planning on getting your degree or certificate from.
Yes, if you are married when you complete the FAFSA, report your and your spouse’s income and assets.
Yes, one of your parents must apply for an FSA ID. They will then be able to complete the FAFSA application online with you. Parents will be able to use the same FSA ID for all of their children, including their own FAFSA.
No. Cal Grants are funded by the State of California through the California Student Aid Commission. If you applied with the FAFSA application by the March 2nd deadline and you or your school forwarded your GPA verification to the California Student Aid Commission, you will be notified by the California Student Aid Commission if you are eligible for the state grant. Students who are eligible for a Cal Grant B and are enrolled in 12 or more units in the Fall/Spring Terms will also receive a Full Time Student Success Grant.
You must first complete a FAFSA application and we must have received your FAFSA information electronically. The next step is to obtain a loan application from the Financial Aid Office. Loans are not automatically renewed each academic year (Summer, Fall, Spring), you must apply every Fall. First Time Loan Borrowers must attend a Loan Entrance workshop and may sign up for one by contacting the Financial Aid Office. Only Federal Stafford Direct Loans are available at West Hills College.
Review the SAR and Comments section to be sure all information is correct and the Federal Processor has no questions on any of your information. If you have any questions bring your Student Aid Report (SAR) to the Financial Aid Office for review.
Yes, you will receive an email to your student email account within 7-10 business days of the Financial Aid Office receiving your FAFSA information electronically. The email will explain to you how you can check your portal for any missing documents (i.e. Dependent Verification Worksheet). Once all forms have been completed and turned into the Financial Aid Office, they will be reviewed and financial aid eligibility will be determined. An additional email will be sent to your student email explaining how to review your eligibility
No, you do not have to pay back grant financial aid, unless you withdraw from all your classes, do not attend all the classes you enrolled in for the term, or received all F's, NC’s or W’s. There may be other circumstances that cause repayment. Loans need to be repaid.
You can contact the Federal Processor at 1-800-4-FED-AID. They can help you with any technical issues you might be having. You can also contact the Financial Aid Office at 925-3310, but our technical access is limited and we do recommend you call the Federal Processor.
No, you do not need to make an appointment to see a Financial Aid Technician. It is important that you allow a reasonable amount of time when meeting with a Financial Aid Technician so that we may carefully review your documents to avoid delays in processing. Our office hours are currently Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 7:30am-5pm, Wednesday 10:30am-5pm and Friday 7:30am-12pm.
You may receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) or informed by a Financial Aid Tech that your application is rejected. There are a few common reasons why the Federal Processor will reject an application: Missing signatures, inconsistent marital status with income, taxes paid are equal to the adjusted gross income, citizenship question is blank, marital status and family members blank. You may make corrections using your Student Aid Report (SAR) or online with your FSA ID.
The first step is to complete your FAFSA and answer “yes” to the “Interested in Work Study” question. By answering “yes” to the work-study question, you are not automatically awarded work-study. You need to check in with the Financial Aid Office and complete a Work Study Application. To be eligible for work-study, students must be enrolled in at least 6 units and maintain Satisfactory Academic Process (SAP). There are other requirements that may be determined by the Financial Aid Office.