Academic Regulations

Classification of Students

  • Full-Time — Students enrolled for 12 or more semester units of college credit.
  • Part-time — Students enrolled for fewer than 12 semester units of college credit.

Student Study-Load Regulations

The California Education Code defines a college semester unit as one lecture hour of class plus two hours of study per week per semester. For one laboratory unit, a college unit represents three hours of work in laboratory or in comparable experience under classroom supervision.

A normal schedule of 15 semester units assumes the average student will devote approximately 45 hours per week to class attendance and preparation.

The Dean of Students’ approval is required for enrollment of more than 18 semester units. If a student wishes to appeal a decision, he or she may do so by contacting the Dean of Students, who will then meet with the student’s counselor to render a final decision.

Remedial Coursework Limit Policy

West Hills College Lemoore offers limited options in remedial coursework through pre-collegiate basic skills courses in reading, writing, learning skills, study skills, mathematics and English as a Second Language (ESL). These courses are designated as non-degree applicable credit courses by their number (100 and above).

A student’s need for remedial coursework shall be determined by the student’s counselor through the use of appropriate assessment instruments and multiple measures. Once enrolled, no student shall attempt and/or receive more than 30 semester units of credit for remedial coursework at West Hills College Lemoore. A new student who does not attain full eligibility status for college level work within this unit limit shall be dismissed and referred to adult, non-credit education courses.

The following students are exempt from the limitation on remedial coursework:

  • Students enrolled in one or more courses of English as a Second Language.
  • Students identified by the Disabled Student Program Services (DSPS) as having a learning disability.

After attempting and/or completing 30 semester units of remedial coursework and showing satisfactory progress by maintaining a 2.00 cumulative grade-point average, students may be allowed additional units of remedial coursework upon petition to the Dean of Students. Students must file a petition with their counselor specifying the additional course(s) in which the student may enroll.

Pass/No Pass Classes

Students planning to transfer to a four-year college or university should take classes for a letter grade, not as pass/no pass. Only selected courses are offered on this basis. A student must select the pass/no pass option in a class by the end of the fourth week for semester-length courses and 30% of the course for short-term courses within the semester. Under the P/NP policy, if a student successfully completes the course requirements, he/she will be granted credit and will receive units but no grade points. If the student does not successfully complete the course requirements, the student’s record will reflect units attempted but the student will not have grade points calculated. The student decision is final and cannot be changed, for any reason, back to a grade once this option is selected.

This policy is designed primarily to permit the student to explore areas of curriculum with which he/she is not familiar without jeopardizing his/her grade point average. If students plan to eventually transfer to another institution, students should refer to the catalog of that transfer institution on the maximum number of P/NP units that will be accepted. See course descriptions for courses offered under this option.


Students are expected to attend all sessions of each class in which they are enrolled. Students who do not attend the first class meeting may be dropped by the instructor as a no-show. Excessive absences may result in the student being dropped from his/her class. If unusual circumstances prevent the student from attending, he/she should notify the college. However, the decision to retain a student in class is the decision of the instructor. To assure no grade penalty for the course, the student should go online and drop themselves from the course. Students are responsible for ensuring that they are dropped from class and should not rely on the instructor or other processes dropping them. No person may attend or participate in a class without being properly enrolled.


Final examinations are required in all courses. Students are expected to take the examinations at the regularly scheduled times. Students must make accommodations with the instructor and obtain approval from the Vice President of Educational Services prior to the scheduled final examination if they are unable to attend the final exam date. Failure to do so may result in a substandard grade.

Grading Standards

Pursuant to Section 51306 of Title 5, the grading practices of West Hills College Lemoore shall be as follows:

Symbol        Definition                          Points

A ........ Excellent ...................................... 4
B ......... Good ........................................... 3
C ......... Satisfactory ................................. 2
D ......... Passing, less than satisfactory ...... 1
F .......... Failing ........................................ 0

  • (P) Pass: At least satisfactory-units awarded; not counted in grade point averages. A P (pass) indicates a grade of C or better. The P grade will not be included in computing the student’s grade point averages. The student will decide no later than the end of the fourth week for a semester length course or by the 30% point for a short-term course whether he/she wishes to take the course on a P/NP basis or on the conventional grading system basis-a letter grade of ABCDF. For credit toward his/her AA or AS degree, a student will not be permitted to take more than fifteen (15) units on the P/NP basis or twelve (12) units if majoring in the CIS/Business program.
  • (NP) No Pass: Less than satisfactory or failing-units not counted in grade point averages
  • (I) Incomplete: Incomplete academic work for unforeseeable, emergency and justifiable reasons at the end of the term may result in an “I” symbol being entered in the student’s record. The student must complete at least 75% of the required course work. The condition for the removal of the “I” shall be stated by the instructor in a written record and supplied to the student. This record must be given or mailed to the student and a copy on file with the Educational Services and Registrar’s Office. A final grade shall be assigned when the work stipulated has been completed and evaluated, or when the time limit for completing the work has passed. The “I” may be made up no later than one year following the end of the term in which it was assigned. A student may petition in writing to the Curriculum Academic Review Committee for a time extension (one semester only) due to unusual circumstances. An “I” shall not be used in calculating units attempted nor for grade point averages.
  • (IP) In Progress: The IP symbol shall be used only in those courses which extend beyond the normal end of an academic term. The IP symbol shall remain on the student’s permanent record in order to satisfy enrollment documentation. The appropriate grade and unit credit shall be assigned and appear on the student’s permanent record for the term in which the course is completed. A student may receive an IP grade when the class extends beyond the normal end of the semester. An appropriate evaluation grade shall be assigned when all course work has been completed within the following college semester. Instructors assigning an In Progress (IP) grade will be required to submit a present status grade at the end of the first term, which is sent to the student through the address in the college database. The student must then enroll in the course and complete all course work during the following semester. Should the student not re-enroll and complete the course work within the following semester, the present status grade will be entered on the student’s transcript.
  • (RD) Report Delayed: The RD symbol may be assigned by the registrar only. It is a temporary notation to be replaced by a permanent symbol as soon as possible. The RD symbol will not be used in calculating grade point averages.
  • (W) Withdrawal: A student may withdraw from a class or classes prior to the end of the thirteenth week or prior to attending 70% of the class sessions of a short term course and receive a grade of W. If a student remains enrolled in a class beyond 70%, then a grade other than a W must be assigned. A student may also receive a W after the 70% upon petition and consultation with the appropriate faculty in extenuating circumstances such as verified cases of accidents, illnesses or other circumstances beyond the control of the student. A W shall not be used in calculating grade point averages
  • (EW) Excused Withdrawal: Excused Withdrawal occurs when a student is permitted to withdraw from course(s) due to specific events beyond the control of the student affecting his or her ability to complete a course(s) and may include a job transfer outside the geographical region, an illness in the family where the student is the primary caregiver, when the student who is incarcerated in a California state prison or county jail is released from custody or involuntarily transferred before the end of the term, when the student is the subject of an immigration action, or other extenuating circumstances making course(s) completion impracticable.
  • (MW) Military Withdrawal: Military Withdrawal occurs when a student who is a member of an active or reserve United States military service receives orders compelling a withdrawal from courses. Upon verification of such orders, the MW symbol may be assigned at any time after the period established by the governing board during which no notation is made for withdrawals. The student must provide copy of military orders with request for military withdrawal. Military Withdrawals shall not be counted in progress probation and dismissal calculations. In all cases, verification of orders compelling a student to withdraw from courses must be filed with the Registrar before the MW symbol will be assigned.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

To graduate from West Hills College Lemoore, a student must attain a 2.0, or C cumulative grade point average. Scholastic standing is determined by dividing accumulated grade points by the number of units attempted. In addition, a GPA of 2.0 must be maintained within the major.

Grade Changes

The determination of the student’s grade by the instructor shall be final in absence of mistake, fraud, bad faith or incompetency. The following policies apply to changes of grades, except for changes of Incomplete (I) and Withdrawal (W) grades.

  • In general, all course grades are final when filed by the instructor at the end of the term. These grades become a part of the student’s permanent record.
  • A change of grade shall not occur as a consequence of the acceptance of additional work or re-examination beyond the specified course requirements.
  • A request for a grade change shall be initiated by the student affected or by the instructor within the next regular semester following the award of the original grade. If the instructor determines that there is a valid basis for the grade change, a grade change form shall be used to notify the Registrar. If the instructor determines that there is not a valid basis for the change and denies the student’s request, the instructor’s decision, subject to the Student Grievance Procedure, is final.
  • The change of grade form must be completed by the instructor, signed by the Vice President of Educational Services and submitted to the Registrar. Once the change of grade is processed, students shall be notified by the Registrar or the Registrar’s designee.

Prerequisite/Corequisite Policy

It is the intent of West Hills College Lemoore to guide students into courses in which they will have the greatest chance for academic success. West Hills College Lemoore requires students to successfully complete prerequisites/corequisites as pre-enrollment preparation. (Successful completion is defined as a grade of C or better for the minimum prerequisite/corequisite requirement.) It is the student’s responsibility to meet the necessary prerequisite(s) for any course taken. The student may be dropped from any class where it is verified that the necessary prerequisite has not been met.

Whether or not a prerequisite is specifically stated, the instructional staff of West Hills College Lemoore assumes that each student who enrolls in a transfer-level course possesses sufficient competencies in the areas of reading, writing and math to be able to benefit from instruction.

Prerequisites, corequisites, or strongly recommended preparation for each course is listed in the catalog description. A prerequisite is a course requirement that a student must meet in order to demonstrate current readiness for enrollment in a course or educational program. A corequisite: is a course that a student is required to take concurrently in order to enroll in another course. An advisory means that a student is advised, but not required, to meet certain conditions before or in conjunction with a course or educational program.

Prerequisites/corequisites listed in the catalog and the schedule of classes, include:

  • Courses for which specific prerequisites/corequisites have been established.
  • Sequential course work in a degree-applicable program.
  • Courses in which an equivalent prerequisite/corequisite exists at a four-year transfer college or university.
  • Questions about prerequisites/corequisites should be resolved with a counselor or instructor prior to the first day of class.

Prerequisite/Corequisite Challenge Procedure

Any prerequisite/corequisite may be challenged by a student. It is advised that a counselor is seen to discuss this process. The forms may be obtained from the counseling staff, who will explain the procedure. Criteria for challenging a course may be:

  • Knowledge or ability to succeed in the course without the prerequisite/corequisite.
  • The course that provides the prerequisite/corequisite is not readily available.
  • Belief that the prerequisite/corequisite is discriminatory or being applied in that manner.
  • The prerequisite/corequisite has been met at another institution, but transcripts are not on file in the Office of Admissions and Records.

There are deadlines in which the prerequisite/corequisite challenge must be met in order to enroll. The challenge will be reviewed after the challenge procedure has been completed. The student will be informed in writing of the determination of the challenge promptly, in some cases within five working days.

Limitation on Enrollment

Enrollment may be subject to limitations based on reasons of:

  • Health and safety
  • In cases of intercollegiate competition, honors courses, or public performance courses, allocation of available seats to those students judged most qualified and providing that such courses are not core requirements for a major or a general education requirement for which there is no other course available or;
  • One or more sections of a course are limited to a cohort of students when other sections of the same course are available for open enrollment.

Challenge of a Limitation on Enrollment

Any limitation on enrollment may be challenged by a student on the grounds listed below. The student shall bear the initial burden of demonstrating that grounds exist for the challenge. If space is available in a course when a student files a challenge to the limitation on enrollment, West Hills College Lemoore shall allow the student to enroll in the course. West Hills College Lemoore shall resolve the challenge in a timely manner. If the challenge is upheld, the student shall be allowed to remain in the course. If no space is available in the course when a challenge is filed, the challenge shall be resolved prior to the beginning of registration for the next term.

Grounds for Challenging a Limitation on Enrollment

A student may challenge a limitation on enrollment in a course if:

  • The course is required in order for the student to receive a degree or certificate and no other course is offered during the semester of the challenge to meet the requirement and;
  • The student’s graduation from the degree or certificate program will be delayed if he/she is unable to enroll in the course during the semester of the challenge.

Procedures for Challenging a Limitation on Enrollment

  • Submit a Petition to Challenge a Limitation on Enrollment to the Dean of Students no later than the first day of the semester in order to receive a decision by the fifth day of the semester.
  • Attach a current Student Educational Plan indicating that the course is required to receive a degree or certificate.
  • You must prove that your graduation will be delayed by one or more semesters if you are not allowed to enroll in the course.

Course Repetition

Certain courses are repeatable for credit. Such courses are identified in the catalog as repeatable in the course description with the number of times also indicated. Courses that are repeatable are approved for inclusion in this category on the following basis:

  • Skills or proficiency are enhanced by supervised repetition and practice or;
  • Active participation experience is a basic means by which learning occurs.

Students may repeat courses in which substandard grades (“D”, “F”, “NP”) were earned. Permission is not required for repeating a course when a substandard grade has been issued. Students are allowed to repeat the course one time only. Upon completion of a repeated course, the better of the two grades will be used in the computation of the student’s grade point average. Courses that are repeated shall be recorded on the student’s permanent academic record using an appropriate symbol. Annotating the permanent academic record shall be done in a manner that all work remains legible, insuring a true and complete academic history.

Course Repetition Under Special Circumstances

West Hills College Lemoore may permit students to repeat courses for which substandard grades were recorded. Repetition of such courses shall be permitted only upon petition of the student and with written permission of the Vice President of Educational Services based upon findings that circumstances exist which justify course repetition. Such circumstances may be a significant lapse of time since the student previously took the course, significant changes in technology, methodology and content have occurred or a higher grade is required by a specific educational program. When a student is allowed to repeat courses under these circumstances, the student’s permanent academic record shall be maintained in such a manner that all work remains legible, insuring a true and complete academic history. Grades awarded for courses repeated under the provisions of this policy shall not be counted in calculating a student’s grade point average.


  • President’s Citation: A student will receive the President’s Citation if 12 units or more are completed with a GPA of 4.0 in one semester.
  • Dean’s List: A student’s name will be placed on the Dean’s List if that student completes a total of 12 units or more with a GPA of at least 3.0, with no grade below C, in one semester.

Physical education activity classes and pass/no pass classes are not considered in computing GPA for eligibility for the Dean’s List and President’s Citation. Incomplete grades or credit-by-examination classes are not computed for eligibility.

Academic Probation

A student must maintain a C average, 2.0 GPA, on all attempted course work at West Hills College Lemoore with 12 or more accumulated units, or he/she will be placed on academic probation. A student will be removed from academic probation when his/her accumulated GPA at West Hills College Lemoore is 2.0 or higher.

Notification of Academic and Progress Probation

Each student shall be notified of his/her academic difficulty and the availability of college support services. Notification will occur, at a minimum, under the following conditions:

  • When the student’s grade point average falls below 2.0 in all units attempted, a notice that the student is on probation shall be sent to the student informing him/her that he/she is on academic probation. “All units attempted” is defined as all units of credit for which the student is or has been enrolled.
  • When the percentage of a student’s recorded entries of “W,” “I,” “NC” and “NP” reaches or exceeds one third (33%) of all units in which a student has enrolled, the student shall be placed on progress probation and notified.
  • At the end of the third semester on which the student is on academic or progress probation, a notice that the student is subject to dismissal will be sent to the student informing him/her that he/she is subject to dismissal.

All probation notices will be sent to the student’s West Hills Community College District provided email account.

The notice to the student will cover, at a minimum, the significance of being on probation and description of the services available.

A student who is on academic probation and earns a semester grade point average of 1.75 or better shall not be dismissed as long as this minimum semester grade point average is maintained.

Academic Dismissal and Procedures

For purposes of this procedure, semesters shall be considered consecutive on the basis of the student’s enrollment, so long as the break in the student’s enrollment does not exceed one full primary term.

A student who is on academic probation shall be subject to dismissal if the student has earned a cumulative grade point average of less than 1.75 in all units attempted in each of three consecutive semesters.

A student who has been placed on probation shall be subject to dismissal if the percentage of units in which the student has been enrolled for which entries of “W”, “I”, “NC”, and “NP” are recorded in at least three consecutive semesters reaches or exceeds thirty-three percent (33%).

Dismissal Notification

The dismissal notification to the student that he/she is subject to dismissal will cover, at a minimum, reference to this procedure, an explanation of what dismissal means, procedure for reinstatement, and procedure to appeal the dismissal.

Appeal of Dismissal

The student has the right to appeal a proposed dismissal action if the student thinks facts exist that warrant an exception to the dismissal action. The student must file the written petition of appeal with the college Chief Student Services Officer (CSSO) within thirty (30) days after the dismissal notification was sent. If the student fails to file a written petition within the thirty (30) days, the student waives all future rights to appeal the dismissal action. It is the student’s responsibility to indicate on the petition a clear statement of the grounds on which continued enrollment should be granted and to provide evidence supporting the reasons. Petitions will be reviewed by the college CSSO.

The student will continue on probation until the college CSSO decides on the student’s appeal.

The decision of the college CSSO will be communicated to the student in writing within ten (10) days of receipt of the student’s appeal.

The student may appeal the decision of the college CSSO in writing to the College President in accordance with Administrative Procedure 5530, Student Rights and Grievances.

If the dismissal appeal is granted, the student will be continued on probation for an additional semester. At the end of the additional semester, the student’s academic record will again be evaluated to determine whether the student may be removed from probation, should be dismissed, or should be continued on probation.

After Fall Dismissals

Due to the fact that students traditionally enroll in spring classes before fall grades are available, special circumstances exist for dismissals after the fall semester. However, if all grades are available prior to the start of the spring semester, the student is notified and may be dropped from spring pre-enrolled courses. Dismissal notifications will be sent no later than February informing students that:

  • If students are enrolled in the spring semester, they may be permitted to continue on probation. However, they will not be allowed to register for additional classes.
  • Dismissal status will be reevaluated at the end of the spring semester.
  • If students are not enrolled in the spring semester, they have the right to appeal dismissal in accordance with the appeal process.

Standards for Evaluating Appeals and Readmission

In consideration of whether to grant or deny an appeal for dismissal, the CSSO may consider the following criteria:

  • The student accepts a prescribed intervention, such as enrolling in a corrective program designed to assist him/her in improving academic skills, obtaining academic counseling, and/or limiting course load.
  • Documented extenuating circumstances (considered during appeal).
  • Marked improvement between the semesters on which dismissal was based.
  • Semesters on which dismissal was based were atypical of past academic performance.
  • Formal or informal educational experiences since completion of semesters on which dismissal was based.
  • Improved GPA as a result of grade changes, fulfillment of incomplete courses, or academic renewal.

Withdrawal from College

Any student leaving West Hills College Lemoore at any time after registration must formally withdraw from the institution. A withdrawal petition must be obtained from the West Hills College Lemoore Admissions and Records Office. It is the responsibility of the student to file the withdrawal petition with the Student Services Office.

The student who discontinues work without formal withdrawal does so at the risk of having registration privileges curtailed and recommendations to another institution or employer denied and of receiving a grade of F in classes in which he/she is enrolled.

If a student withdraws, all books and equipment belonging to the college must be returned or purchased from the college.

Transcript of Record

The West Hills College Lemoore transcript is a duly certified record of all work completed or undertaken by the student at the college. Two transcripts are furnished free upon request via the myWestHills portal. For each additional transcript, the student is required to pay $5.00. Students must request in writing that their transcripts be sent. There will be a $10.00 rush fee charged for transcripts issued within 24 hours of receipt of the request.

High school and college transcripts of record that are submitted to West Hills College Lemoore become the property of the college and cannot be forwarded to other institutions.

Catalog Rights

A student must fulfill degree requirements as stipulated in the West Hills College Lemoore catalog. A student who maintains “continuous enrollment” may elect:

  • The catalog in effect at the time the student began attending a California public community college or California State University campus or any combination thereof, or
  • The catalog in effect at the time the student began attending West Hills College Lemoore, or
  • The catalog in effect at the time the student is graduated from West Hills College Lemoore.

Continuous enrollment is defined as being officially enrolled in one primary term per academic year regardless of the number of units completed. Also, a student is considered to be in attendance even if he/she registered and totally withdrew from the school during the semester/term as long as the official transcript so indicates. Active military duty will maintain a student’s continuous attendance status providing the student returns at the first registration for fall/spring semester following release.

Academic Renewal Policies and Procedures

The “Academic Renewal Policy and Procedures” agency shall be the District Registrar. The Registrar will use multiple methods of assessment to determine eligibility for academic renewal and retain the right to reject any requests determined by the committee to be without merit.

Grades of D and F, not reflective of the student’s present scholastic level of performance, may be alleviated and disregarded in the computation of grade point averages. When academic work is alleviated, the permanent record shall be appropriately annotated in a manner to ensure that all entries are legible and that a true and complete record is maintained.

Up to 12 semester units of substandard (D and F) course work at West Hills College Lemoore may be alleviated. However, courses which are required for a degree/certificate which has been granted may not be alleviated if the degree/certificate would not have been awarded without those courses.

Since completion of the work to be alleviated, the student must have completed a minimum of number units indicated in one of the three options listed below and earned a cumulative GPA for those units equal to or above that listed. A student is encouraged to use the option with the largest number of units when possible.

  • 24 semester units of coursework with a GPA of 2.00 or
  • 18 semester units of coursework with a GPA of 2.50 or
  • 12 semester units of coursework with a GPA of 3.00.

The Registrar will use the information obtained from the student’s academic transcript as one of the multiple measures of assessment. The following steps and conditions must be met for consideration

  • At least three years have elapsed since the coursework to be disregarded was recorded.
  • The student must consult with a West Hills College Lemoore academic counselor.
  • The student must submit an Academic Renewal Petition Form to the Curriculum Academic Review Committee stating the reasons for requesting academic renewal.
  • The student petition lists the specific courses to be considered under the academic renewal policy.
  • The student must submit copies of transcripts from all institutions relevant to the petition.
  • Once the petition for academic renewal is approved, the action is not reversible.

Whenever possible, students should repeat courses for which substandard grades were earned rather than seek academic renewal.

To apply for Academic Renewal, students must complete the Academic Renewal Petition Form in the Administration Building. Official transcripts of all academic work (from all accredited schools) must be on file in the Administration Building at the time of request for Academic Renewal.

Academic Renewal Procedures

The student must request the application for Academic Renewal Petition Form from the student’s academic counselor; and submit the form to the Vice President of Educational Services Office before the first day of the fourth week of instruction each semester.

Upon completion of the requirements by the student, the Vice President’s Office will forward the Petition for Academic Renewal to the Registrar’s Office for review and determination of approval or denial.

If approved, the Vice President’s Office and College Registrar will process the academic renewal and adjusts the student’s credit hours and GPA; and send a letter specifying the processed academic renewal to the student.

If denied, the Registrar will notify the student specifying the reasons for denial and process for re-submission of petition.