- Application for VA Education Benefits (VA Form 22-1990) on VON APP
- Apply to West Hills College - Online
- Apply for Financial Aid- Online
- Complete Online WHCL Student Orientation- Log into your WHCL student account at myWestHills, scroll down on the right side and click WHCL student orientation. Click Online Orientation Module.
West Hills College Forms (Required)
Registration Process (Required)
- Request all transcripts from other colleges. Official transcripts must be sealed.
- Request your official Joint Service Transcripts at jst.doded.mil
- Bring a copy of your DD-214
- Placement Assessment Exemptions: English and Math class completed at another college. View dates and times online by clicking here.
- Meet with your counselor to complete multiple measures assessment View our Veteran's Checklist.
More About the Montgomery GI Bill® Program (MGI)
The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty.
You may be an eligible veteran if you have an Honorable Discharge, AND you have a High School Diploma or GED or in some cases 12 hours of college credit, AND you meet the requirements.
The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the type of training you take, length of your service, your category, and if DOD put extra money in your MGIB Fund (called "kickers"). You usually have 10 years to use your MGIB benefits, but the time limit can be less, in some cases, and longer under certain circumstances.
Veterans are eligible for benefits if they fall into the following categories:
- Entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985
- Had military pay reduced by $100 a month for first 12 months
- Continuously served for 3 years, OR 2 years if that is what you first enlisted for, OR 2 years if you entered the Selected Reserve within a year of leaving active duty and served 4 years ("2 by 4" Program)
- Entered active duty before January 1, 1977
- Served at least 1 day between 10/19/84 and 6/30/85, and stayed on active duty through 6/30/88, (or 6/30/87 if you entered the Selected Reserve within 1 year of leaving active duty and served 4 years)
- On 12/31/89, you had entitlement left from Vietnam-Era GI Bill®
- Not eligible for MGIB under Category I or II
- On active duty on 9/30/90 AND separated involuntarily after 2/2/91,
OR involuntarily separated on or after 11/30/93,
- OR voluntarily separated under either the Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI) or Special Separation Benefit (SSB) program
- Before separation, you had military pay reduced by $1200
- On active duty on 10/9/96 AND you had money remaining in a VEAP account on that date AND you elected MGIB by 10/9/97
- OR entered full-time National Guard duty under title 32, USC, between 7/1/85, and 11/28/89 AND you elected MGIB during the period 10/9/96, through 7/8/97
- Had military pay reduced by $100 a month for 12 months or made a $1200 lump-sum contribution
You cannot be certified for G. I. Benefits without seeing Rupinder Rai or Janet Young. Each semester you must provide a 826 form with approved courses to the V. A. counselor/Advisor. The school or training program official certifies to VA your enrollment in an approved program.