One way to show you already have the knowledge of the course content is through portfolio assessment. In portfolio assessment, you will write a narrative essay of your college-level learning and supply additional documentation to show you achieved the learning outcomes of a specific course in your education plan.
- Review the courses eligible for portfolio assessment in the table below.
- Meet with a counselor to discuss your interest in portfolio assessment to earn credit toward one of the courses.
- Once your request is approved, enroll in the 1-unit, 6 week Portfolio Development (IS051) course to learn how to assemble the contents of your portfolio.
- After you assemble your portfolio, pay the assessment fee and then submit your portfolio for assessment. A faculty subject matter expert will evaluate your portfolio and determine whether to award you credit for the course.
Portfolio Assessment is available for the following courses:
|HS 080 Introduction to Medical Professional
|CUL 051 Restaurant Math
|CUL 052 Introduction to Commercial Baking
|IMT 060 Industrial Core
|CUL 056 Garde Manager
|WT 071 Beginning SMAW
|CUL 057 Beverage Management
|WT 072 Advanced SMAW
|CUL 058 Dining Room Services and Management
|WT 074 GMAW and FCAW
|CUL 061 Kitchen Management
|WT 075 SMAW Pipe Welding
|CUL 064 Restaurant Desserts
- The cost for portfolio assessment is $90.00. Fees do not guarantee the awarding of credit. Fees are non-refundable.
- 15 units may be earned through portfolio assessment.
- Portfolio assessment credit is awarded with letter grades “P” for “Pass” and “NP” for “No Pass.” If the faculty member determines that the college level learning demonstrated in the portfolio is equal to a grade of “C” or better, credit will be awarded. If the knowledge is judged to be insufficient, the faculty member will deny credit.
- Credit earned through portfolio assessment is not guaranteed to transfer to CSUs and UCs. Colleges and universities have the discretion to accept/deny credit and limit the number of units applied toward majors. Contact the institution you intend on transferring to for more information.