Elementary Teacher Education AA-T
The Associate in Arts in Elementary Teacher Education for Transfer degree is designed to provide the opportunity to achieve an associate degree in the student’s area of specialization. Upon completion of the degree requirement, students will begin preparation for careers such as teaching, operating a daycare, social work, and school administration. The Associate in Arts in Elementary Teacher Education for Transfer degree is designed to prepare students for a seamless transfer into the CSU system to complete a baccalaureate degree in Elementary Teacher Education or similar major.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program, student will be able to:
- compose a formal, argumentative MLA-style research paper that shows an understanding of the writing process, technical correctness, and higher level critical thinking skills.
- identify a career path and educational goals for a career in education taking into consideration the level(s) they want to teach and the institution(s) where they want to complete their degree(s) and credential(s).
- provide a college-level in-class written analysis of authors’ content and style.
- develop and teach a standards-based lesson in an authentic educational setting that will include intention/rationale, process, assessment, and reflection.
- demonstrate basic public speaking delivery techniques.
Associate Degree for Transfer requirements (pursuant to SB 1440):
- Complete a minimum of 18 semester units in a major or area of emphasis
- Complete IGETC or CSU General Education – Breadth requirements
- Complete total of 60 CSU transferable semester units
- Complete all required courses for the major or area of emphasis with a “C” or better
- Obtain an overall minimum grade point average of 2.0
|Required Core Courses|
|BIO 015||Biology for Education||3|
|CD 005||Child Development||3|
|CIS 007||Computer Concepts||3|
|COM 001||Elements of Speech||3|
|EDUC 001||Introduction to Teaching||3|
|ENG 001A||Composition and Reading||3|
|ENG 001B||Literature/ Critical Thinking & Writing||3|
|ESCI 002||Introduction to Earth Science||4|
|GEOG 002||World Regional Geography||3|
|HIST 017A||History of the U.S. 1492-1877||3|
|HIST 020||World History I||3|
|LING 011||Introduction to Linguistics||3|
|MATH 010A||Structure & Concepts in Mathematics I||3|
|MATH 010B||Structure & Concepts in Mathematics II||3|
|PHYSCI 002||Chemistry and Physics for Educators||4|
|POLSCI 001||American Government||3|
|List A: Choose one course from below, 3 units|
|EDUC 005||Critical Thinking in the Classroom||3|
|SOC 002||Critical Thinking and Social Problems||3|
|List B: Choose one course from below, 3 units|
|ART 042||Art Appreciation||3|
|MUS 042||Music Appreciation||3|
|PA 001||Introduction to Theater||3|
|CSU Transferable Electives||4|
This is a recommended sequence of courses for timely completion of this program. Entry in to transfer level English and math is required to follow this recommended sequence. Please see your counselor to formalize your personalized educational plan or for alternative planning.