Kinesiology AA Degree
The term kinesiology means the study of movement and the associate of arts degree program emphasizes major preparation courses for students seeking transfer to a four-year university. Students entering the field of kinesiology can look forward to career prospects in the areas of fitness, health and wellness, athletic training, exercise science, education/coaching, and sports administration.
Students who have selected the particular four-year college to which they wish to transfer should use the catalog of that institution as the principle guide for determining additional coursework.
Upon completion of the kinesiology program, students will be able to:
- Know the structure and function of the human body as it relates to physical activity, fitness and health.
- Know the impact of physical inactivity on fitness and health in a societal context.
- Perform basic motor skills and apply a variety of concepts and methods common to the academic field of Kinesiology.
- Develop and apply the multiple strategies that encourage societal adoption and active healthy lifestyles and commitment to lifelong learning.
Students must fulfill the following requirements to qualify for an associate degree:
- Complete the Associate Degree requirements
- Complete major course requirements as specified in the catalog with a C or better
- Complete electives to reach a total of 60 degree applicable units
- Maintain a grade point average of 2.00 overall
- Complete the English and math competency requirements with a C or better
|Required Core Courses|
|BIO 032||Human Anatomy||4|
|BIO 035||Human Physiology||4|
|NUT 001||Basic Nutrition||3|
|KINES 001||Introduction to Kinesiology||3|
|PSYCH 029||Introduction to Sport & Exercise Psychology||3|
|*PE-046||Care & Prevention of Athletic Injury||3|
|Plus 2 Units from two different PE activity courses below:|
|PE 006||Body Conditioning||1|
|PE 021A||Introductory Fitness Lab||1|
|PE 021B||Beginning Fitness Lab||1|
|PE 021C||Intermediate Fitness Lab||1|
|PE 021D||Advanced Fitness Lab||1|
|PE 023||Weight Training||1|
|PE 024||Circuit Training||0.5 - 1|
|PE 025A||Introductory Soccer||1|
*PE-046 is no longer offered - KINES 046 should be substituted for this course.