Geology AS-T Degree
The Associate in Science in Geology for Transfer Degree is designed to provide students a seamless transfer to the California State University system. The degree is designed to prepare students for a baccalaureate degree in Geology or similar major.
A degree in geology provides individuals with training in the physical aspects and history of the earth. These individuals are then able to locate resources (e.g., fossil fuels and minerals) and manage and mitigate human impacts on ecosystems. They are employed as research scientists, teachers and geologists by educational institutions, construction companies, government agencies, mining and petroleum industries, surveying and engineering companies, and environmental consulting firms. Geologists are generally analytical, inquisitive and creative. They are required to work well individually or as team members and to communicate effectively.
Upon completion of the geology program, students will be able to:
- Understand the Earth as a system with many separate but interacting parts.
- Understand the relationship between people and the natural environment and will understand how the discipline of geology can be used to solve problems that arise from these interactions.
- Understand how scientific hypotheses are formulated and tested in general and will specifically understand the evolution and development of major geological science theories.
This program is intended for students planning to transfer to a California State University. Students must fulfill the following requirements to qualify for an associate degree for transfer:
- Complete CSU GE Breadth or IGETC pattern
- Complete the major course requirements as specified in the catalog with a C or better
- Complete electives to reach a total of 60 transferable units
- Maintain a grade point average of 2.0 overall
- Complete the English, Critical Thinking, Communication, and Math requirements with a C or better
|Required Core Courses
|* CHEM 001A
|General Chemistry I
|* CHEM 001B
|General Chemistry II
|Introduction to Calculus
|* MATH 001B
|Calculus With Applications
|Units to be double-counted as General Education
|CSU GE Breadth or IGETC Units
|Transferable Elective Units
*This course offered infrequently.