Liberal Studies - Elementary Teaching AA Degree
The Associate of Arts in Liberal Studies – Emphasis in Elementary Education Degree provides transfer level preparation that affords the student a broad-based study in written and oral communication, human culture, behavior and the sciences. It is designed to prepare students for transfer to a four-year institution and teacher credential program in the multiple subject discipline. Students should consult a counselor for specific information and develop an educational plan to determine the correct pattern for transfer prior to transferring to their preferred college or university of choice. Students can also access transfer information on www.assist.org.
Upon completion of the liberal studies program, student will be able to:
- Use mathematical models and/or concepts to solve real-world applications.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the characteristics, distribution, and complexity of Earth’s cultural mosaic.
- Recognize social issues from an economic perspective.
- Analyze and differentiate between different economic solutions to social issues.
- Analyze social situations within elementary education, including social interactions and micro- and macro- interventions among diverse populations.
This program is intended for students planning to transfer to a California State University. Students must fulfill the following requirements to qualify for an associate degree and transfer to a CSU.
- Complete CSU GE Breadth or IGETC pattern
- Complete the major course requirements as specified in the catalog with a C or better
- Complete electives to reach a total of 60 transferable units
- Maintain a grade point average of 2.0 overall
- Complete the English, Critical Thinking, Communication, and Math requirements with a C or better
Select a minimum of 18 units from the area of emphasis list below and transfer level electives to complete the 60 units necessary to be eligible for admission.
|Introduction to Teaching
|Introduction to Sociology
|Introduction to Linguistics
|Structure & Concepts in Mathematics II
See a counselor for clarification on specific transfer requirements for the university of your choice for the multiple subject teaching credential.