Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

Placeholder: FAQ list will be shown here
  • Once you've completed admissions and the affidavit in Student Services, you will be eligible to complete an application for the California Community College Promise Grant, formerly known as the Board of Governors (BOG) Enrollment Fee Waiver. Dream

    This will allow you to register for your classes and its paid for through the state of California

    WHC Lemoore Dream Resource Center

    WHC Coalinga Dream Resource Center

  • First complete a DREAM Act Application. You may need your parents' income information and both student and parent will be required to apply for a PIN to sign electronically. Your High School will need to submit your GPA electronically. Make sure the name you used in High School matches the one you use on the application. The information on the application is not shared with third parties. Deadline is March 2nd.

    Dream Resource Center - Coalinga

    Dream Resource Center - Lemoore

  • Yes, every student who is applying for FAFSA is now required to have an FSA ID. You will need to apply for one so that you have a way of electronically signing your FAFSA application.


  • No, you can select up to ten schools to receive your FAFSA data by listing them on your application. However, do not list both Lemoore and Coalinga school codes on your FAFSA; it will only delay your financial aid.

    Please only select the one you are planning on getting your degree or certificate from.

  • To apply for an FSA ID, please visit  

    Click on "Create an FSA ID" tab. You will be asked to provide your name, Social Security Number, Date of Birth, and 5 challenge questions and answers. 

    Also, you will need to provide your email address, create a unique username, and create a password. You will use this username, email address, and password to log in to your FSA ID. 

    Save that information in your cell phone or on a card to keep in your wallet for future reference. You will be using your FSA ID to electronically sign your FAFSA, or other Federal Financial Aid websites.

  • You may receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) stating your application is rejected, or you may be informed by a Financial Aid Technician that your application is rejected. 

    There are a few common reasons why the Federal Processor will reject an application: Missing signatures, inconsistent marital status with income, taxes paid are equal to or higher than adjusted gross income, citizenship questions are blank, marital status and family members blank, etc.

    A rejected application means that you must go back into your FAFSA application and make the necessary corrections needed to process your application. You may make corrections using your Student Aid Report (SAR) or online at 

  • WHC Lemoore (041113) | WHC Coalinga (001176)

    West Hills Community College District has two distinct colleges, West Hills College Lemoore and West Hills College Coalinga. Below you can find the appropriate federal school code for each college. 

    Note: Do not list both Lemoore and Coalinga school codes on your FAFSA or Dream Act; it will only delay your financial aid. Please only select the one you are planning on getting your degree or certificate from. 

    West Hills College Lemoore School Code: 041113

    West Hills College Coalinga School Code: 001176

  • More than likely yes, we encourage all future and current West Hills students to fill out a FAFSA application. This will allow our team to evaluate your need and provide you with any financial assistance and options available to you. 

    We also offer a number of other options to our student which include:

    • Fee waivers and book vouchers (For Those who Qualify)
    • Grants and Loans
    • Scholarships
    • Work-Study

    Learn More on our Financial Web Site

  • You must first complete a FAFSA application and we must have received your FAFSA information electronically.

    The next step is to obtain a loan application-as well as other missing documents you may have-from the Financial Aid Office. Loans are not automatically renewed each academic year (summer, fall, spring); you must apply every academic year. 

    First time loan borrowers must attend Default Prevention and Loan Entrance Workshops; you may do so by contacting the Financial Aid Office. Only Federal Stafford Direct Loans are available at West Hills College.

  • The first step is to complete your FAFSA and answer "Yes" to the "Interested in Work Study" question. 

    By answering "Yes" to the work-study question, you are not automatically awarded work-study. The next step is for you to check in with the Financial Aid Office and complete a Work Study Application. To be eligible for Work Study, students must be enrolled in at least 6 units and must maintain Satisfactory Academic Process (SAP). There are other requirements that may be determined by the Financial Aid Office. Work Study is awarded on a first-come-first-serve basis.

    For more information on how to complete your FAFSA and apply for Financial Aid please visit our Financial Aid site

  • The amount of Financial Aid you are eligible for depends on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), your year in school, enrollment status, and the cost of attendance at the school you will be attending. 

    Once the Financial Aid Office has reviewed your eligibility, you can go online to the myWestHills Student Portal, click on the "Financial Aid" section under Service Desk, and then click on "Financial Aid Award Letter". This will show you your eligibility for the school year. 

    myWestHills Student Portal

    Financial Aid Award Letter (Direct Link)

    For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office.

  • Yes, eligible non-citizens may also qualify for financial aid. Generally you are an eligible non-citizen if you have one of the following:

    • An Alien Registration Card (I-551)
    • An I-551C
    • An Arrival- Departure Record (I-94) with designations: "Refugee", "Asylum", "Parole", or "Cuban — Haitian Entrant"

    If you are not a citizen or an eligible non-citizen, you are not eligible for federal student aid. However, you may qualify for state or college student aid. For AB 540 students, please visit to apply for financial aid if you complete the application process deadline each year, which is March 2nd. This is a state grant, so if eligible you wouldn't receive any awards until fall of the year. Please contact your Financial Aid Offices for more information.

  • You may go to the myWestHills student portal to see your current application status and if there are any mission documents needed in order to process your FAFSA or Financial Aid.

    Student Portal Financial Aid Summary (Direct Link)

    You may also go into the Financial Aid Office and obtain your missing documents so your financial aid can be processed by Financial Aid Technicians.

  • Yes, there may be additional documents you must submit in order to receive Financial Aid. You will receive an email to your student email account within 7-10 business days of the Financial Aid Office receiving your FAFSA information electronically. The email will explain that you can check your portal for any missing documents. Once all forms have been completed and turned in to the Financial Aid Office, they will be reviewed and Financial Aid eligibility will be determined. An additional email will be sent to your student email explaining how to review your eligibility.

  • In general, no, you do not need to make an appointment to see a Financial Aid Technician.

    It is important that you allow a reasonable amount of time when meeting with a Financial Aid Technician so that we may carefully review your documents to avoid delays in processing. 

    To meet with a Financial Aid Technician please visit your respective college Financial Aid office

    WHC Lemoore Financial Aid Office

    WHC Coalinga Financial Aid Office

  • Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is a measure of your family's financial strength and is calculated according to a formula established by law. Your family's household size, taxed and untaxed income, assets, and benefits are all considered in the formula. *Please keep in mind that your EFC is not the amount of money your family will have to pay for college nor is it the amount of federal student aid you will receive. It is a number used by your school to calculate the amount of federal student aid you are eligible to receive.

  • There may be circumstances that cause repayment. Loans, however, must be repaid.

    In general, you do not need to pay back Grant Financial Aid, unless you withdraw from all your classes, do not attend all the classes you were initially enrolled in for the term or received all F's, NC's, or W's. There may be other circumstances that cause repayment. Loans, however, must be repaid.