Communication Studies AA-T Degree
The Associate in Art in Communication Studies for Transfer Degree is designed to provide students a seamless transfer to the California State University system. The degree is designed to prepare students for a baccalaureate degree in Communication Studies or similar major.
The AA-T in Communication Studies offers broad-based preparation in effective oral and written communication, presentation, and debate as well as a foundation in group dynamics and interpersonal relationships. The degree is designed to provide entry-level skills and knowledge for those students who simply want to improve their marketability with potential employers. The degree prepares students in the main skills employers look for in potential employees: the ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing and to effectively work in groups and/or teams.
Upon completion of the communication studies program, the student will be able to:
- Identify and differentiate among various perspectives across the Communication discipline.
- Critically analyze evidence and reasoning to identify and provide appropriate and credible support for written and oral communication.
- Identify and demonstrate effective and appropriate written and oral communication skills, both verbal and nonverbal, across diverse context.
- Demonstrate individual responsibility, integrity, respect, and influence to effectively and appropriately communicate with diverse audiences.
This program is intended for students planning to transfer to a California State University. Students must fulfill the following requirements to qualify for an associate degree for transfer:
- Complete CSU GE Breadth or IGETC pattern
- Complete the major course requirements as specified in the catalog with a C or better
- Complete electives to reach a total of 60 transferable units
- Maintain a grade point average of 2.0 overall
- Complete the English, Critical Thinking, Communication, and Math requirements with a C or better
|Required Core Courses|
|COM 001||Elements of Speech||3|
|COM 002||Oral Interpretation of Literature||3|
|COM 003||Argumentation and Debate||3|
|COM 004||Small Group Dynamics and Presentation||3|
|COM 005||Interpersonal Communication||3|
|Select One Course (3 units):|
|PSYCH 001||Introductory Psychology||3|
|SOC 001||Introduction to Sociology||3|
|Units to be double-counted as General Education||6-12|
|CSU GE Breadth or IGETC units||39|
|Transferable Elective Units||9-15|