Liberal Arts - Area of Emphasis for English and Communication AA Degree
The English and Communication Area of Emphasis is designed to provide the student with foundational knowledge and skills in the following areas: the relationship of language to logic, as well as how to analyze, criticize, and advocate ideas, to reason deductively and inductively, and to reach conclusions. Courses fulfilling this requirement provide an understanding of the psychological and social significance of the communication principles of voice and speech, discovery of critical evaluation and reporting of information, reading, listening, speaking, writing effectively, and provide active participation and practice in written and oral communication. This area of emphasis prepares students for baccalaureate majors including but not limited to: speech and communications.
Upon completion of the English and communication program, the student will be able to:
- Identify an author’s main idea.
- Utilize research material.
- Speak in an understandable and organized fashion to explain their ideas and express their feelings.
- Listen actively and respectfully to analyze the substance of others comments.
Students must fulfill the following requirements to qualify for an associate degree:
- Complete the Associate Degree requirements
- Complete major course requirements as specified in the catalog with a C or better
- Complete electives to reach a total of 60 degree applicable units
- Maintain a grade point average of 2.00 overall
- Complete the English and math competency requirements with a C or better
Select at least 18 units from the following courses. A minimum of 3 units must be completed in each discipline of English and communication.
|AG 011||Agriculture Sales and Communication||3|
|BUS 028||Business Communication||3|
|COM 001||Elements of Speech||3|
|COM 002||Oral Interpretation of Literature||3|
|COM 003||Argumentation and Debate||3|
|COM 004||Small Group Dynamics and Presentation||3|
|COM 005||Interpersonal Communication||3|
|EDUC 005||Critical Thinking in the Classroom||3|
|ENG 051A||Introduction to Communication Skills||3|
|ENG 001A||Composition and Reading||3|
|ENG 001B||Literature, Critical Thinking & Writing||3|
|PA 005||Voice & Diction||3|
|PHIL 002||Introduction to Logic||3|